SOURCE American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
Honda leads industry with four TOP SAFETY PICK+ rated vehicles
TORRANCE, Calif., March 7, 2013 /PRNewswire/ — The new 2013 Honda Civic Sedan and Coupe have received the highest available safety rating of TOP SAFETY PICK+ from the Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS). This recognition makes the Civic Sedan and Coupe the first and only IIHS Small cars in the industry to earn a TOP SAFETY PICK+.
Honda leads all other brands in achieving TOP SAFETY PICK+ ratings with four models – Civic Sedan and Coupe, and Accord Sedan and Coupe. Further, for the 2013 model year, all Honda and Acura models tested1 by the IIHS have received a TOP SAFETY PICK or TOP SAFETY PICK+ rating.
“If you want a compact car with a TOP SAFETY PICK+ rating, the 2013 Honda Civic is the only choice,” said Art St. Cyr, vice president of product planning and logistics at American Honda. “We believe this is a distinct competitive advantage, especially as more and more consumers place a premium on crash rating performance.”
The new Civic Sedan, equipped with the second generation of the Honda Advanced Compatibility Body Structure™ (ACE™II), is not only the first Small car to earn TOP SAFETY PICK+ in the industry, but also the first and only to earn the highest possible rating of GOOD on the IIHS’ new small overlap frontal crash test (sometimes called a ‘narrow offset’ test). This aggressive test is designed to simulate what happens when the front corner of a vehicle collides with another vehicle or an object such as a tree or utility pole at high speed. The ACE™II reinforced body structure found on the 2013 Civic further enhances frontal crash energy through a wider range of these offset and oblique collision scenarios.
Additional standard safety equipment on all Civic models include Vehicle Stability Assist™ (VSA®) with traction control; an Anti-lock Braking System (ABS); side curtain airbags; dual-stage, multiple-threshold front airbags; and driver and front passenger side airbags.
Honda Safety Leadership
Honda has a long history of leadership in the development and application of advanced technologies and designs to enhance the safety of all road users, including automobile occupants, motorcycle riders, and pedestrians. The company operates two of the world’s most sophisticated crash test facilities and is responsible for numerous pioneering efforts in the areas of crashworthiness, airbag technology, collision compatibility and pedestrian safety. This commitment to safety is rooted in Honda’s goal to be a company that society wants to exist, and it complements the company’s leadership in reducing vehicle emissions, improving fuel efficiency and advancing alternatives to gasoline.
2013 American Honda TOP SAFETY PICK+:
|Honda Accord Coupe||Acura TL|
|Honda Accord Sedan|
|Honda Civic Coupe|
|Honda Civic Sedan|
2013 American Honda TOP SAFETY PICKS:
|Honda Fit||Acura ILX|
|Honda Crosstour||Acura TSX Sedan|
|Honda Civic Sedan||Acura MDX|
|Honda CR-Z||Acura RDX|
Connect with Honda:
- Honda Media Newsroom (for journalists) http://www.hondanews.com/channels/corporate-safety
- Honda for consumers: http://www.automobiles.honda.com
- Honda on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/honda
- Honda on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/hondanews
- Honda on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/honda
- Honda on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/honda
- Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/honda
- Instagram: http://instagram.com/honda
- Honda on Google+: https://plus.google.com/+honda
Connect with Acura:
- Acura (for consumers): http://www.acura.com
- Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Acura
- Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/Acura_Insider
- YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/acura
- Acura ZDX, Honda FCX Clarity and Honda Fit EV have not been completely tested by the IIHS for the 2013 Model Year.↩
- Source: American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
- Author: American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
- Date Posted: March 8, 2013